IMPORTANT: Your server must have at least PHP 5.5 for the theme to work and you need at least 48MB upload size to add the theme via wp-admin. Check your PHP version and maxim upload size with this plugin – https://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-php-info/ and contact hosting to update PHP version if it’s not at least 5.5 and to increase max upload size if it’s not 48MB.
Before theme installation
Each client must do all these steps:
a. Choose hosting
b. Buy a domain
c. Install wordpress on domain. Here’s a tutorial for how to do that http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install.
These must be done BEFORE any theme forest theme is installed.
Theme and plugins installation
1. Install the theme via WordPress
– Download Installable WordPress file only from buyer account on ThemeForest.
– Upload wpestate.zip from Appeareance / Themes / Install Themes uploader
– Activate the theme.
– Activate Plugins from header notice and start using them right away. Plugins install (help
IMPORTANT: The notifications from Visual Composer, Rev Slider or Ultimate Add-ons that you need the purchase license code to get automatic updates is just for clients who buy the license. We bought commercial license so we can offer these plugins for free to our clients with WP Residence theme. All updates will be offered through our theme updates.
2. Install the theme over FTP
Download the theme pack from the buyer Theme Forest account.
The download will be under your buyer account – Downloads. Download only “All files and documentation” , unzip the theme pack and find the wpestate folder.
Unzip the theme pack from Theme Forest.
– Upload the folder wpresidence folder contents to the wp-content/themes folder on your server – via FTP Manager
– Activate the theme in the Appearance / Themes menu in WordPress Admin.
– Open the Appearance – Theme Options and set up theme options.
– Activate Plugins from header notice and start using them right away
The notifications from Visual Composer, Rev Slider or Ultimate Add-ons that you need the purchase license code to get automatic updates is just for clients who buy the license.
We bought commercial license so we can offer these plugins for free to our clients with WP Residence theme. All updates will be offered through our theme updates.
Mandatory Step after theme installation
Create and add Google Maps API Key:
Optional steps after installation
1. Install Child theme if you plan to make changes to theme code
Inside theme pack you have minimum required to start a child theme. More on child theme customisation possibilities is listed in this technical how to article
How to install child theme
Option 1 – via wp-admin
– Install wpresidence theme (see above)
– Find in the theme pack downloaded from theme forest the wpresidence-child.zip folder
– Go to Themes – Appearance – Upload the wpestate-child.zip folder and activate child theme.
– Save menus.
Option 2 – via FTP:
– Login on your domain via FTP MANAGER
– Go to wp-content/themes and copy wpestate-child folder as given in theme pack
– Go to wp-admin/appearance/themes and activate the child theme
– Save menus
You can start adding CSS modifications right away.
For more complex changes documentation, go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
2. Demo installation
Theme supports 1 click demo import.
Other Setup Settings
Go to Admin- Theme Options – Google Maps and fill in the landing address for Google Maps. To find out Latitude and Longitude for Google Maps, starting point go to Google Maps, find your location, click right on the location on the map and click “What’s here”. Coordinates will show in the search bar on top.
c. Set the rest of general settings for your website: Currency Symbol, Where to show currency symbol and Measurement unit and so on from Appearance – Theme Options.
These are the main steps. There are more settings explained in help for each theme options chapter: http://helpv4.wpestatetheme.org/article-category/theme-options/